Thursday, October 7, 2010

Peyton

Well, I haven't updated this blog lately and trust me, this is not how I wanted to do it. I figure this is an easy way to share what is going on and get news out about Peyton.

We are sitting here in a regular hospital room with her as I type. No ventilator, no catheters, just a sweet and precious little girl sleeping. As some of you know this is like Deja Vu for us all over again. 5 years ago, this is how Peyton's life started out. At about 5 days old, she was flown to Charleston for what turned out to be 2 straight months of stay in the hospital. What was supposed to be an outpatient surgery on Wednesday has turned into our worst nightmare and has landed us back in Charleston for an indefinate amount of time. As most have read on facebook, due to an accident during Peyton's heart catheter procedure, a good piece of tissue was burned that has now caused a complete heart block.

I will save all of the other details, b/c I know that you have read bits and pieces as the days have progressed. Suffice it to say, this is a pretty serious issue that can't go unresolved. The doctor's are pretty much saying that it will take a miracle to get Peyton's heart back to normal. They feel certain that it will not regain normal usage. We obviously believe otherwise and are praying for that miracle. Should this not be a part of God's plan, then a surgical procedure will be needed to implant a pacemaker into Peyton's body. This will mean that Petyon will have to be cut open again and the surgery will be alot like how her open heart surgery was except, they won't be working inside the heart. Due to all of her stomach surgeries, the heart surgeon is not certain that he can place it above her stomach. Her anatomy is too small for it to go where it would go in a larger child or adult, so this means a possible placement under her left arm pit. We will not know the answers to these questions until later in the week.

If there is any positive news in all of this, it would be the fact that the doctors found two annuerysms in Petyon's heart that we had no clue existed. This is a blessing in the sense that we are aware of them and can monitor them as needed. One of the anneurysms is common and the doctor's do not seem to worried about it. The other one is rare or unique and according to the team who met to discuss Peyton's status, no one knew anything about it. They have heard of it and know it by name, but that is it. They have decided to just monitor this to check its growth and so on. During that time, they will be researching it and seeking advice from others to determine any potential danger that may exist. If any is found, then a plan will ensue to eliminate this anneurysm. Not even going to think about that right now.

This little girl has been through the ringer. I told her today (with tears in my eyes) that she was my hero. I told her that she is the bravest and toughest girl that I know. She asked me why I was crying and I told her because I wish I could switch places with her. She simply sat up (which is not easy for her) and hugged me. What is wrong with this picture? Shouldn't I be comforting her? See what I mean. She is tough as nails.

So what is different this time around vs. five years ago? This time, it is much harder. When Peyton was a baby, she had no idea what was going on. She couldn't understand or comprehend anything. This time, she can. It is so much harder as a parent to have to explain to your baby girl what is going on and that another surgery is possibly in her future. I told her that today and she said she didn't want to have the surgery. I told her that we had to do whatever it took to get her back home and healthy. She said she knows that and that she will be brave for the next surgery. Once again, I wish we could trade places.

One thing is for sure. 5 years ago, God pulled her through some really bad health issues. He loves this little girl, he is perfect and he makes no mistakes. No matter what happens, I rest in that fact. She is aware of this as well. She has talked a lot about God lately and the first thing she wanted today when she was feeling better was her bible. So encouraging!

Karen and I want to think all of you for your willingness to help. So many of you have jumped in to help with meals for our kids, babysitting and sleeping arrangements for our kids, some have made trips down here and even mowed my lawn. Words can't even began to describe how appreciative we are for all of this. We have told Peyton all about your generosity and that so many people are praying for her. She is thankfull as well.

4 comments:

  1. Red and Karen, we are just sick over this. We love you guys so much and are praying with out ceasing. Please give Peyton big hugs and kisses for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know you and your family personally, but my heart is really touched. I am a true prayer warrior and will definitely be praying for Peyton and the family to continue to be strong and have faith.

    thank you so much for the update and I will also share this with other prayer warriors.

    let Peyton know there are so many people praying for her and to have great faith in God because the prayer of the righteous availth much and if 2 or more agree in God's midst it is done. amen

    be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven-I seen your Mama last night and she was telling us about Peyton & her Bible--that is "AWESOME" That say's everything about you & Karen as parents!! Peyton belongs to God & he has taken care of her for the past 5 yrs--he's not going to Stop now.
    My Love & Prayers to You, Karen & Peyton & all the other children :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Red, I'm Joanne Frederick's mother-in-law, and she posted this on Facebook. We can all identify with your ache for precious Peyton, but it sounds like the Holy Spirit is alive and well in her! I will be praying- I know how much it helps to know folks are praying.
    Wilma Frederick

    ReplyDelete