Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bad News Cubs!




If you know me well, you knew I wouldn't get too far into this blogging thing without mentioning my beloved Cubbies! As you can tell from the title of this blog, there is not really much good to say. If there is one thing positive about this season, it would be the fact that even though the cubs are playing horribly and can't score any runs, they are only 1 game out of first place in their division. So, I still have some faith that they can get the job done and win the division. Wow, that quote sounds vaguely familiar. I think I say that every year.

At any rate, what brought the cubbies to mind was a list that I came across that I found painfully humorous. I thought I would share it on here for others to read as well. It is titled "20 things that have happened since the Chicago Cubs last won a World Series." For you avid baseball fans out there, you know that the Cubs are working on their 101st year since their last world series title. As I have said before, anyone can have a bad century, right?

Without further ado, here is the list:

1. Radio was invented; Cub fans got to hear their team lose.
2. TV was invented; Cub fans got to see their team lose.
3. Baseball added 14 teams; Cub fans got to see AND hear their team lose to more teams.
4. George Burns celebrated his 10th, 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthdays.
5. Haley’s Comet passed Earth… twice.
6. Harry Caray was born… and died. Incredible, but true.
7. The NBA, NHL and NFL were formed, and Chicago teams won championships in each league.
8. Man landed on the moon, as have several home runs given up by Cubs pitchers.
9. Sixteen US presidents were elected.
10. There were 11 amendments added to the Constitution.
11.Prohibition was created, and repealed.
12.The Titanic was built, set sail, sank, was discovered, and became the subject of major motion pictures… the latter giving Cub fans hope that something that finishes on the bottom can come out on top.
13.Wrigley Field was built and becomes the oldest park in the National League.
14.Flag poles were erected on Wrigley Field roof to hold all of the team’s future World Series pennants. Those flag poles have since rusted and been taken down.
15.A combination of 40 summer & winter Olympics have been held.
16.Thirteen baseball players have won the Triple Crown; several thanked Cubs pitchers.
17.Bell bottoms came in style, went out of style, and came back in style.
18.The Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Florida Marlins have ALL won the World Series.
19.The Cubs played 14,153 regular-season games; they lost the majority of them.
20.Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, Oklahoma, and New Mexico were added to the Union.

This list is painful to read, but funny at the same, even if you are a fan of the cubbies.

I do want to say here, that there are some valuable lessons that the Cubs have taught me over the last 24 yrs that I have been a fan. One thing is for sure, I get to practice my christian faith on the Cubs regularly. So I would say they have helped strengthen my faith in some ways. I have learned a lot about unconditional love. As many times as they have disappointed me and hurt me, I have never given up on them. Even when all of my friends were bragging about their beloved Braves winning the division year after year. They tried to convert me, but I would not turn my back on the cubs. There are many other issues that I could discuss here about how they have helped strengthened my faith like: forgiveness, patience, loving my enemies, etc.

But I will also say this. Although the cubbies have been a missional baseball team, they are definitely not the reason for my faith. As much as I love the Cubs, I love God even more. And I am so thankful that unlike the Cubs, God will never let me down. You can count on Him. He will not disappoint you in the end. He always keeps His promises, and His Word provides comfort, hope, and wise advice that never fails. Something I can say the Cubs lack.

Come on baseball fans, show the cubs some love. They are harmless. They haven't beat up on anyone in over 100 yrs. In closing, I am reminded of the famous words of most all cubs fans: "If they didn't disappoint us, they wouldn't be our cubs."

No comments:

Post a Comment